Tips for Attending Open Parties
If you want to do the Grand Tour, start at the top Party Floor and work
your way down, for each tower -- this way you only have to wait for an
elevator going UP twice. If you find a congenial one, stay for a while; there's no rule that
says you have to party hop. On the other hand, if you join a group that
seems to be congenially party hopping and tag along, it's a great way to
make new friends and learn about the convention party scene.
If you want to pick and choose your parties, a listing will be available
each day in the
daily newsletter, and flyers will
probably be plastered on the boards in the elevator lobbies. Peruse them
and see if the mock-bid party for the Shadows' Worldcon (in 2258) piques
your interest, or perhaps you might prefer a darker theme? One thing's
certain, there'll be plenty to choose from.
How to Throw a Party
See also: our Hyatt page
If you're holding a party in your room, make sure you specify
"Party Floor" when you make your
If you want to reserve a
suite, do it
right away. Suites are limited.
People planning parties at Chicon might want to note
that regular programming does not end until 6:45 p.m.
This is an incomplete list of parties that various fans plan to hold at
Chicon 2000. If you're planning on having a party, write to
and we'll add you to the list on this page.
- Arisia [www],
- "Arisia-Balticon-Lunacon '01 will be
throwing a joint party Friday night in a suite." (Colette Fozard)
- Babylon 4 in 1260 (bid for Worldcon 2262)
- "Charissa Bihl and I are throwing a Hoax Bid Party, 'Babylon 4
in 1260'." (Melissa McIntosh)
5 in 2258: Interworldcon [www]
"The Grey Council is happy to announce that we will be hosting a bid
party at Chicon 2000. With the help of our friends, the Centauri, we
hope to provide fun, food, drink and information to all of you, our
pre-supporters and pre-opposers. This is going to be even bigger than
our party at LACon III!"
- Boston in 2004 (Worldcon Bid) [www]
- "On Thursday and Saturday, we'll be throwing a party in support of the Boston in 2004 Worldcon bid."
- Bucconeer Party [www]
- "The pirates of Bucconeer (the 1998 Worldcon) will be sailing to Chicago
host a Pirate Party on Thursday night for all Chicon 2000 members! We
also be hosting a party for all past, present, and future Worldcon
volunteers (including staff, committee, program participants, and even
chairmen) on Wednesday night. (Check the
Bucconeer web site [www] for party
details and others announcements.)"
- Charlotte in 2004 (Worldcon Bid) [www]
- "Charlotte 2004 Worldcon Bid, many nights. Come see the kitty
hawks fly, eat our Southern food, etc." (Irv Koch)
in 2011 [www]
- "I would like to inform you that The Minnesota Society for
Interest in Science Fiction and Fantasy (MISFITS) will be holding a room
party at Chicon. The party will be Chernobyl in 2011, our bid to hold a
Worldcon at a location that turns science fiction into science fact.
Although we are still negotiating with officials in the Ukraine, we are
certain that the entire convention will be held in the nuclear plant at
Chernobyl given the fact the plant will be shut down later this year. Of
course, this gives us the advantage of several heated pools. Come to
Chernobyl in 2011 -- the con that glows on you!"
- Christian Fandom [www]
- "On Sunday night (times TBD), Ron and Tara Oakes will be
hosting an open Christian Fandom party. Christian Fandom is an
interdenominational fellowship of Christian fans of Science Fiction and
Fantasy. Our room parties are open to all Fans, of any, or no, faith."
- DemiCon 12 Party [www]
- "Join The DemiGoddesses of Serendipity,
Spontaneity and Specificity for a Roman
themed romp! Toga party to be held Friday night
in pre celebration of DemiCon 2001."
- DucKon X Party [www]
- "On Saturday night from 9:00pm to 1:30am (Times subject to Change) DucKon
will kick off its tenth birthday party by holding a party."
- Frefan Party
- "Frefan Party for all libertarians, anarchists, Discordians,
Heinlein fen, New Libertarian subscribers, etc. Thursday,
August 31. 9 p.m. until Dawn (golden, of course) or Death...
Dead Crane Party on Monday, September 4." (Samuel Edward Konkin III)
- I-5 in '05
- "We're hosting a party on Saturday night in support of our bid
to host the World's Longest Worldcon."
- Minneapolis in '73/Minicon Suite [www]
- Those crazy Minneapolis fans from Minn-stf are hosting a suite
with several fannish parties during Chicon. RASFF party Thursday night for
posters, lurkers, friends, and the curious; UK in '05 Worldcon bid party
Friday night; Minicon and Minneapolis in '73 parties other nights; and who
knows what else? Oh, that's right. Music parties. Of course. And a few
surprises, no doubt.
- SFF Net [www] Mega-Party 2000 and Party Suite
"SFF Net will be hosting a Mega Party Suite for the duration of the con,
and we will have a Super SFF Net Party, the Mother of all Parties, in
conjunction with Obscura Press, on Friday night, spanning two suites and 7
rooms! You already know us for our fantastic parties from previous
Worldcons and NASFiC, and this one together with Obscura Press will be the
most incredible one yet!"
- "Embiid Publishing
will be sponsoring a Really Big Party in
the SFF Net suite on Saturday night."
- Sime~Gen Fandom
- "We will be hosting a Sime~Gen party for
fans of Jacqueline Lichenberg's Sime~Gen
books. Authors Jacqueline Lichenberg and
Jean Lorrah should be in attendance at least
part of the time."
- Toronto in 2003 (Worldcon Bid) [www]
- "Toronto in 2003 bid will have room parties on the Thursday
and Friday nights. We will also be having a relaxed party Sunday night,
regardless of the vote results.
At present the plan is to begin the parties at 9:00 pm and to go late.
We will not be having a party Saturday
night (the evening of the site selection vote count)."
- UK in 2005 [www]
- "UK05 is planning a single party this year, on Friday evening."
- Worldcon Nippon (Japan in 2007)
- "Japanese fandom has decided to enter a bid for the 2007
Worldcon, and we would like to launch our campaign at Chicon 2000.
We are preparing to have two nights bid-party."
- Xerps in 2010 (Worldcon Bid) [www]
- "We're going to throw a Friday night party with lots of
great food and drink... The Worldcon Bid That's Out Of This World."
Table of Contents |
What's New |